Frequently Asked Questions

Does your office accept my insurance?

Our office will file your claim for you as a courtesy. Please understand that your insurance policy is a contract between you and your insurance company, and not our office. You will be responsible for any difference in our fees and what your insurance company does not cover.

What type of payment options do I have?

We accept Visa, MasterCard, CareCredit, checks (with proper identification), and cash. Payment is required at the time of service, but if you need to make other arrangements please speak to a member of our business staff. They will be happy to assist you!

Dental Insurance in Mount Pleasant, TX

What happens if I forget my insurance or Texas Medicaid card?

There are several pieces of information that are required in order for our office to file your dental claims for you. We must know the name of the employee (insured), the insured's date of birth, the insured's social security number or identification number, their employer, the name of the dental insurance carrier (ex. MetLife), and the carrier's telephone number. If your child is covered by Texas Medicaid and you do not have a card with you, don't panic! Our office has a direct link to the Medicaid website, so we can verify your coverage and print out a temporary card for you.

I am a divorced parent and my ex-spouse carries the dental insurance on my child. Who is responsible for the bill?

The parent or legal guardian who brings the child to our office for the appointment is the person that we will consider responsible for the account. We do not attempt to resolve financial disputes between divorced parents. The divorce decree is an agreement between you and your ex-spouse and we are not a party to that agreement.

What types of insurance do you accept?

Currently, our office is only contracted with Cigna. We will be considered out of network for all other insurance carriers. Your out of pocket expense may be slightly higher that if you use a dentist in your network. We will be happy to submit a pre-treatment estimate to your insurance company for you.

What can I do for a toothache?

Clean the area of the affected tooth. Rinse mouth thoroughly with warm water or use dental floss to dislodge any food that may be impacted. If the pain persists, contact our office. DO NOT place aspirin or heat near the gum or tooth. If the face is swollen, use a cold compress and contact our office immediately.

What should I do if my child knocks out a permanent tooth?

If possible, find the tooth! Handle the tooth by the crown, not the root. The tooth may be rinsed with water only. Call our office immediately - if the tooth is re-implanted within the first hour after the accident, there is a much greater chance that the tooth will survive. Transport the tooth to our office in a glass of milk. Remember, time is a critical factor in saving the tooth.

What should I do if my child knocks out a baby tooth?

Call our office as soon as possible. This is usually not an emergency and most of the time no treatment is necessary other than keeping the area clean and free from infection.

Dental Lessons in Mount Pleasant, TX

Why does my child appear to have two rows of teeth?

Sometimes when a permanent tooth erupts behind a baby tooth the baby tooth does not get loose like it normally would and fall out on its own. This is not a dental emergency! It is a common phenomenon that our office sees regularly. The baby tooth may need to be extracted in our office if you are not able to remove the tooth at home.

What should I do if my child loses a stainless steel crown?

Find the stainless steel crown if possible. The crown can easily be re-cemented in our office if you bring the crown with you. If you cannot find the crown, don't panic! We can fit your child for a new stainless steel crown in our office when you arrive.